View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #92
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
What if he hadn't had comprehensive insurance? It would be a bit silly to be driving a recent-model BMW without it, but let's assume that was the case.

No comprehensive coverage means no insurance payout. The car was under warranty, maintained by BMW service technicians to manufacturer recommendations, and it catches fire during normal operations and is a total loss. BMW investigates, and their investigation is inconclusive. If that were to happen, BMW either makes it right, or the driver sues BMW to try and force them to make it right. My guess is BMW makes it right to avoid the lawsuit.

In this situation, despite the insurance payout, my bet is BMW would have been willing to go further to make it right if the OP had hadn't lost his patience.
You keep assuming it was normal operation and random fire caused by car. If a piano fell on his car, is BMW responsible? If a thief stole it, is BMW responsible? If a raccoon shits all over his seats cause he left the moonroof open, is BMW responsible?

There is NO trend, reports, or any other indications of BMW randomly catching fire. That to me says it's not a manufacturer fault, cause BMW sells how many 3 series? Any inherent fault would have come out much earlier. Chances are he either did some mods or other actions he's not telling us (remember, were only hearing his side of the story), or its some other act of nature.
Appreciate 0