View Single Post
      10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
Whilst he did state that he preferred the Caddy's handling, he had some pretty significant commentary on the two cars' engines. The Caddy seemed to put out less than it's stated 270 and he preferred the F30's smooth and linear power delivery. Further, he was none too kind toward the operation of the Caddy's manual shifter.

It's not as simple as stating that he chose the Bimmer because of his perceived impressions of the interior quality. That was 1 data point amongst other items.
I understand, but to me it sure seemed to be the biggest data point.
After all, after stating how much better the ATS was in terms of all around performance and handling, the subtle things you mention can't elevate a car to be the 'winner'. A not so great shifter and a bit coarser engine at high rpm is hardly a loser when it has better handling, better ride, better steering and feel, better braking, etc..., and the 3 has a nicer interior and better iDrive.
Remember, when iDrive first came out, nearly all the mags C&D included hated it, but they never knocked the 3 series below 1st place because of it, which was due to it's superior chassis and handling.

That's how I took it after watching it a couple of times.
I'll watch a couple more and look and listen again.
As I said, the rules seem to have changed now that the King is being greatly challenged.
Appreciate 0