View Single Post
      05-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Solution Found!!!

OMFG… f… me dead! I’ve cracked it!!

I just returned from my test drive and the DARN SOLUTION WORKED!!! When the road surfaces changes, there is a SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION in the change in noise level between smooth tarmac and coarse chipped surfaces!! I am sooo happy!!

Here’s some photos of the condensed wool material that I purchased from the hardware store. It is self adhesive, but I left the backing paper on. I cut a 11cm x 11cm square piece and a slit so that it shrouds the metal bar.

This photo is taken inside the left front wheel well. You can see the rear side of the backing paper. I have no idea what this metal bar does, so chose to leave the padding “free floating” in case this metal bar needs freedom to move.

After multiple failed attempts to feed the piece from the engine bay, I fed the square piece through the hole from the wheel well side. My hand is too big to attempt a good fit from the engine compartment.

This is the view from the engine bay. I fed the pad behind the plastic box.

I also used this material to cover the gap between the dash on the interior of the car and the windshield.

Took a test drive and could not BELIEVE the difference!!! This material was also significantly better than stuffing a sock in the hole in reducing the road roar.

So in conclusion, this solution reduces both roar from coarse surfaces, but I’ve also noticed it reduces general wind noise – presumably caused by the alloys spinning.

Unfortunately what this means is the road roar has been eliminated to the point where I can now hear the wind wooshing sound that everyone is complaining about! Not sure what to do about this other than obtaining some thinsulate & covering the area below.

I want to acknowledge the post
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792508 for the photo.

Anyway, I am happy that at least the car is now as quiet as a Kia. Not quite Hyundai, VW or MB hush quiet, but getting there.
I’m going to celebrate & bask in this victory!!
Appreciate 1