Thread: For the Yanks
View Single Post
      01-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #53
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

The main market for diesel in the States is for people who want giant trucks to drive around the city, but want to bump the mileage from 6 to 8 mpg (and a minority that actually use them for legitimate work). lol I seem to remember euro cars showing up with diesel engines in the 80s or some decade long ago, and most Americans got real turned off to diesel cars because of these dirty beasts that required constant maintenance. Every now and then you'll still see an older Mercedes rolling around with the whole bottom rear a grimy black.(correct me if I'm not completely accurate)

As for 3er wagons, they're 'cute', but not for me. I'm more in the SUV or small truck category. If I want to haul that much shit, I also want to be able to go offroad and tow a boat. With the back seats down in my 335i, I have plenty of room for the common occurances (snowboard, groceries, rucksack, etc)

I admire the Europeans for developing better diesel car technology of late, but it's of a necessity that just isn't quite present in the States. Premium petrol is something like euro 1.80/litre in Germany, but with my US fuel card I get it at $1.00/litre. If I had to pay the euro price, I'd be more inclined to get a diesel or at least a smaller motor also. Europeans are also much less likely (it seems) to have more than one car, so the Wagon is prudent for those who need to haul cargo, but want better mileage than an SUV. Us big lard assed* Americans also love to have multiple houses and vehicles, which allows some of us to specialize instead of compromising.

Last edited by KellerKiller; 02-08-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0