View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Background: I've owned both RWD and AWD and lived everywhere from Rhode Island to Arizona and several places in-between.

In my experience all seasons are basically worthless on a RWD car if you're driving in real snow (anything over 1/2") or up any kind of hill. They're better than summer tires, but not by enough to make up for only having 2 drive wheels. 1" of fresh snow in a RWD car with the best all season tires is still terrible.

With AWD and good all-seasons and you can get by in light snow fine. Not as well as pure snow tires in terms of braking and turning, but you won't have to white-knuckle in mortal terror at 1" of snow keeping you from going up an incline or sending the ass end of your car sideways either, which is a real problem with RWD and all-seasons. AWD gives you more margin of error there, though ultimately it still comes down to tires.

If I lived in the Philadelphia area I'd buy a set of winter wheels and dedicated snow tires. All seasons will not cut it for you unless you just stay at home when it snows.
Appreciate 0