View Single Post
      12-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Just my personal curiousity that according to most of the opinions that I heard from frineds or garage mechanic or bmw's mechanic that if you just change the short spring like Super Sport Spring of H & R, since your stock shock won't be a shorter shock and after you have installed the shorter spring, will damage the stock shock and can't sustain for long period, are they right?
That would be true if the springs are so short that the dampers would fully compress while the car is stationary/static. If that were the case, then your car is not being supported by the springs, as it should be, but rather by the fully collapsed damper on the bump stops.
Or, the springs are so short that they do hold up the car, but there is very very little travel left in the damper for any bump. If so, then when the car hits even a small bump or dip in the road, the damper would reach it's compression limit and constantly hit the bump stops.
That ride would be horrible, and worse the handling would be dangerous, as there would be no more compression travel, pretty much like driving Fred Flintstones car.
Is the HR spring that short? If it is then stay away from it if you want to use your stock dampers.

Another option that would also keep warrant intact would be installing the M Performance springs.
The M Performance springs lower the ride height an additional 10mm from the stock sport/Msport springs.
If you recall in another thread there is an owner (shivasworth I think) using the M Perf dampers but using the stock sport/Msport springs.
He started with the standard non sport suspension, now upgraded to the M Perf dampers.
He likes the ride and says handling is much improved as well.

I'm thinking about trying the M Perf springs with my M adaptive dampers.
If the M Perf springs are like other M Perf kits, the springs will be about 34% stiffer. That will make for a nice firmer sport mode.
Comfort mode with the M adaptive dampers will be firmer, but since the dampers are adaptive it should still be a nice comfy ride, just firmer, which appeals to me.

For me, the sport/Msport suspension springs are still too soft.
I think they are only 14% firmer compared to the stock/non sport suspension.
That's not very much at all. Sport/Msport springs should have been at least 20-25% firmer.
Seems BMW may have done that to get sport/Msport owners to cough up more cash for the M Perf suspension.
Can't prove that, just say'in.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-16-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0