11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Or, just simply be ok with the current nav. Reality is regardless of new or current, the actual nav upgrade is still behind what you can get on a modern smartphone.

My motivation for wanting the new upgraded system is simply to get the faster interface. The added toys are fluff and I'd likely rarely or never use them. Siri is pretty crap, and I doubt Dragon in the car is gonna be any reinvention of speech recognition (especially if BMW is not using a high quality microphone). Anyway, my phone already has txt to speech and speech recognition built in. I hardly use it.
If you're navigating to an actual street address (i.e. 5251 Main St), then the BMW Nav does quite well. Of course it's probably not going to find the closest Boston Market as well as a smart phone. And in every day driving, Nav with HUD is substantially safer and more user friendly than trying to follow along with a smartphone, even one ghetto-mounted on your dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
WOW.
In real life, it is rather snappy. You never knew just how sluggish the current Nav is until you use one that moves/scrolls/transitions just as fast as you can move the controller.

The good news is that retrofit options should be available in the next 6-12 months.
Appreciate 0