04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #46
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs8 View Post
My point is...give this "rule 48"/blindside hit a few more years for the players to adapt. Pretty soon you will see the league without these types of head hunting players (Cooke, Torres, Tootoo, etc.).
That would be great if the league was finally able to rid itself of these toolbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
As a goalie, I usually would call out the forecheck if I had a guy facing away from the play to grab the puck or playing it behind the net. I wonder if Crawford gave Seabrook any sort of heads up, or if that isn't SOP for them.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs8 View Post
Good point...I heard on one of the local ex-players on a post game panel mention that point too. He had mentioned that he notices that many players in today's NHL do not yell the simple "HEADS UP" sentence anymore.

I was shocked when I heard that because I always remembered telling that to my team mates or vice versa.
Steve Staios also talked about this after the game. The players do have to make some effort to protect themselves. But people forget how fast this game is in real time. It's easy to dissect it and say "coulda, woulda, shoulda" when we see it over and over again on slow motion replay. If anything hearing he was under pressure could have caused him to panic slightly and make a move he might typically have avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560159[

Campbell explains ruling on no Torres discipline

Monday, 04.18.2011 / 5:17 PM / 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Conference Quarterfinals

NHL.com

Vancouver Canucks forward Raffi Torres will not face further discipline for a hit behind the net on Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook in Sunday night's Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal-round series.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued the following statement after reviewing the hit by Torres that resulted in a minor penalty for interference at 12:14 of the second period:

"When Rule 48 (Illegal Check to the Head) was unanimously adopted by the General Managers in March 2010, there was no intention to make this type of shoulder hit to the head illegal. In fact, at that time, we distributed a video to all players and teams that showed a similar hit on a defenseman by an attacking forward coming from the opposite direction behind the net and stated that this is a 'legal play'.

"This hit meets none of the criteria that would subject Torres to supplemental discipline, including an application of Rule 48: He did not charge his opponent or leave his feet to deliver this check. He did not deliver an elbow or extended forearm and this hit was not 'late'."

Torres was in his first game back after serving a four-game suspension for a hit on Edmonton forward Jordan Eberle in an April 5 regular-season contest.

Hit was not illegal -- says the NHL and me

I am not retarded CDNRockies and BTM -- just cause I say something you disagree with doesn't make me "retarded".

You're just sour grapes cause the Flames suck ass and Torres left your team
Gutless call by a league that has no spine. The NHL cannot get out if it's own way to provide any consistency for any rule they try to "enforce". Just like every year, rules for the playoffs are different.

First off I'm actually cheering for the Canucks, but their fans are hilarious. Way to go...you won the President's Trophy...the only thing you have EVER one. Until you actually win something meaningful, stfu.

Secondly, I'm not a Flames fan....I grew up watching Hall of Famer's put Stanley Cup banners in the rafters year after year. We spent a decade using the 'Nucks as a punching bag to pad our stats and increase our lead in the standings.
Appreciate 0