View Single Post
      02-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.
BMW don't appear very forth coming when it comes to specific data, particularly in the public domain.

But when you read the technical articles on VDC/CDC and look at some of the graphs, it does appear because a system is adaptive, the valving can allow the damping to be more restricted in the sport mode. I've seen a graph where Audi set their VDC to be firmer in the sport setting, but as it is adaptive, it only needs to be stiffer in dynamic situations where it will firm up more than a passive sport system.

As others have said the feel is different, as it will be. Those who have tested the two suspensions (including some of the motor mags) report the same, "feels stiffer in sport" comments. Then we would expect it to be, as the whole concept of VDC is "soft where possible, firm where necessary". As one poster has implied, when you work it, it then shows its abilities.

The only ways to really know if the default (stiff) valving is set firmer than the passive sport valving, is wait until we can get some data from BMW, some third party, or some testing. Disconnect the electrics (or fuses) on a VDC system to get the default (closed valve) setting and into a 'passive' sport mode, and back to back with a sport setup, or remove the dampers and get on a test machine.

I know my brother in laws Jaguar XJ had an active suspension fault, where it defaulted to the firmest damper valve setting. He had to use it a couple of days like it. That was one firm ride, definitely harder than any sport setting you'd want for a road car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0