View Single Post
      10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
How come you think it is air? It is oil in those dampers. If there was any kind of leakage you would surely notice it since there would be oil all over the place.

The damper has small holes where the oil passes and the size of those holes is varied by the adaptive damping system. Small holes makes the damper compress and decompress slowly and it would make more noise at the same time.
I don't know what is, that is why I wanted them to check, so that if there is a leak, they can spot it and document it.

Some noise/sound in a damper is acceptable.
If the damper get's compressed super fast and hard, the fluid will also need to move quickly in order to keep up. If the compression is too fast, then the fluid flow through the damper circuit/valves can make that sound due to how fast it needs to move through.

That too brings up my concern, because I have adaptive dampers that have electronically controlled valves that are supposed to respond, and quickly, to spring compression. I hear that light hiss even on some moderate bumps, which leads me to question if the system is working properly and quickly enough to respond to bumps.
Again, that's why I wanted them to look at it and at least note it, so that if a problem occurs later it will be documented, especially if it happens out of warranty.

They documented the clunk in the steering when the engine is shut off.
Well, now after 1800 miles, I am getting a light "clunk" in the steering wheel when the engine is running and I turn the wheel to a larger degree at low speeds, like manuvering in a parking lot. The steering never clunked when the engine was running, but now it has started to do it.
I think whatever was causing the clunk with no engine running has now become worse and there is now a clunk even when the engine is running.
So, I'll now need to take up more time taking it back to the dealer so they can diagnose this, which seems to be part of the original problem where they concluded, "no problem found". Maybe this time they will find it, hopefully.
Appreciate 0