03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Garage List
ditto

I have only ever leased cars, so I have driven quite a few new cars off of the lot. I have always been amazed at how little the sales staff actually knows about the car. It is rare that I cannot tell the sales person something about the car that they didn't know. From Acura to Infiniti to Audi to BMW. I would give Mercedes credit, as my sales person their was quite knowledgeable from packages to options to pricing.

So back to BMW... What percentage of BMW sales are the 3-series? And why wouldn't you know the packages/options/specs inside and out from year to year and even month to month if you were a BMW sales person? I don't know. One would think that they would be continuously upselling and describing various options and differences - 328 to 335 to M3 for example.

It seems to me that they focus on their inventory and therefore shy away from discussing the thousands of different options and combinations available in order to focus on the cars they have on the lot rather than to get bogged down with a customer placing an order for a vehicle with a 2 month plus wait. It makes sense.

Maybe given that the cars are BMW's and therefore drive/feel/look awesome they figure the car will sell itself anyway... Why waste the time? Might as well just check the sports page. Like selling iphones, customers are going to buy them, just focus on ringing them up!
Appreciate 0