View Single Post
      03-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Seems to me the difference (apart from the paddles and a slightly different — both styled by Norelco — shifter) is software. But I wonder a couple of things: (1) If there is a programming difference, and the AT is such an important part of the package in terms of fuel economy, is there a difference in real-world fuel economy between the Sport Auto and the normal AT? (2) What programming/shift timing differences are there between the Sport Auto and the normal AT in "Sport" mode? I've read that "Sport" mode in the normal AT locks out 8th gear and costs something in highway MPG. I wonder how that compares to the Sport Auto.

I have a six-cylinder 328i with MT and the non-turbo N52 engine. It's a great combination, but not terribly fuel-efficient, especially around town. But it's enormously fun and satisfying to drive, and plenty fast enough for me. A lot of people with the AT in this car have been unhappy both with the old six-speed AT from General Motors and with the car's responsiveness. On the other hand, I think the turbocharged engines and the new 8-speed from ZF, in either form, are well matched to each other and — except for some rough edges, apparently, around the Start/Stop system — the better choice for turbocharged engines, since the fast shifts help to keep the boost up and minimize the effects of turbo lag.
Per BMWUSA it only describes the shifts as "extremely fast", that's it.
If it has anything extra it would be software as the gear ratio's are the same.

Given the comments on here, that's why I have this question.
Seems all of the 328i tests and reviews are using the "sport" auto not the standard. We don't know if there is a difference between the 2 options, other than the paddle shifters.
And the reviewers haven't even commented on the differences.
If anyone has a review that discusses actual differences please post a link.

BMW doesn't show a difference in 0-60 between the sport and std auto.
Logically it would be very small even if there were, because to get to 60 you only need 1 shift to 2nd. So, any difference in the accel to 60 would be very very small. A 1/4 run and runs to 100 and above might show a cumulative fraction difference, if there is any in the first place.

Or, is BMW just using slick vague on purpose marketing getting people in the US to pay $500 for what amounts to paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0