View Single Post
      09-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #373
AutobahnDriver
Rep
Drives: F30

My F30 is back from Munich. Vibration is gone for good. Steering wheel is calm at any speeds now. And steering precision improved a lot, too.

It feels like driving a different, better car. Preeminent improvement (aside the vibrations gone) at low speeds (city driving) and on highways (over 100 mph).

What they did to fix it (they didn’t want to give it to me in writing, probably BMW directive):

Full disassembly and re-assembly of the front gear.
Power steering module replaced (full ZF unit with mounting, digged deeper on that).
Some work on the front suspension (can’t remember what exactly).
New Tires. Before: Continental runflat. Now: GoodYear EfficientGrip runflat.
A bunch of new Software (even the navigation system was re-set to factory settings).
Measurements and adjustments on some kind of test stand (put over 200 miles more on the odometer).

Well guys, that’s what it took to get my steering vibration fixed. I assume they first tried the obvious and easy (rims, tires, suspension, software) and finally were forced to exchange the whole power steering module. And that required an extensive assembly work with a full re-adjustment on the test stand.

That may be too much to ask from your local dealer or garage. He should probably send your car back to the factory it came from, to get the work done. Mine successfully did so. They got the right tools, equipment and knowledge.

The problem is that this isn’t your decision – it’s his. You cannot explicitly make him do this, but you can surely try to force his hand. Maybe there are costs involved, he would have to bear. Sure he will have to dispute with BMW, as this is not standard procedure (as far as I know).

The only thing you can do is to insistently claim your warranty and to do it in writing, so you are prepared for possible legal proceedings. Eventually you’ll either get your car fixed properly or will have to return your car for good.

After the first two unsuccessful repair attempts I refused to take the car back. I told them to keep it, as it is of no use to me, because I consider it unsafe to drive. My lawyer would contact them for further proceedings. That seemed to have surprised them as most people normally do not leave the cars they have paid already on the dealers court yard. As I started to call a cab with my cell phone things started evolving: I suddenly got an intermediate replacement and after a week I was informed, that my car has been send back to the factory for repairs.

Good luck!

Last edited by AutobahnDriver; 09-15-2012 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0