02-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #2468
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by also1412 View Post
hello kon, awhk, clarence (and shawn if you want to get into the mix),

got swamped recently and finally came back to the coding community. surprised that so many things have changed, you know what i mean about the new security and token stuff.

up to day, the top thing on my wish list is till enabling asian language support - like you guys and i believe many other people have been trying so hard to achieve. My F30 is a UK spec built in Mar 2012 but for media I use Simplified Chinese as primary language (you can't blame my musical taste) and I have long fed up with the squares and question marks, also they show up on the contacts and messages too.

After some researching and coding myself, my opinion about this is still bound to the locale settings, i.e. region or country settings somewhere. I understand that kon mentioned about the missing chinese font, my argument on this is on a software architecture point of view (my day job is this) it makes no sense not to enable utf8 support and include the relevant font in the system, as otherwise bmw will end up maintaining many code basis and releases branches for this system which will be an absolute pain in the ass for bmw themselves. if they deliberately want to disable asian language support for europen config cars (which again makes no sense, this is one globe why couldn't they think about it - there must be asian language users anywhere) they would do it on a "configurable" way, pretty much like the idea of VO codes.

There is a proof about this theory. If you have 6NR and can use BMW Apps on your iPhone, try download and use AUPEO! and listen to a chinese pop station. Surprisingly you will notice all of a sudden your CIC displays Chinese Traditional!! (see pic). If CIC doesn't have the font this wouldn't happen.

For the reason why this AUPEO! app could somehow invoke chinese display I have no idea, but we can see that it is not impossible.

As I have not been rolling my sleeves and doing coding for a while now, my next attempt is to try removing country code and see if there is any luck on a UK f30. I will report back.

The intention of this post is just to bring this discussion back, as I believe once this is working it will help a lot of people, including myself.

Any suggestion welcome. TIA!
The NBT idrive do allow u to display Asian fonts, it's only the CIC idrive which doesn't allow u to display chi. That is unless u have the specific CIC for PRC/TW/HK/MAC. In the ETK it appears as a unique part number & from the ETK price it costs 2x the price of EU/USA CIC.
As for 6NR, it may be due to video function of 6NR. So if ur ifone supports chi then it'll display it as video inputted from the ifone. Someone has to try 6NR w/o vdo function to see if it works.
Appreciate 0