Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
I really don't get this!

My 328i is at ~13,500mls and is still showing MAX from when I picked it up with 6 miles on the clock! Why does the OP's 328i burn so much whilst mine hasn't used a drop (or seemingly so from the iDrive)?

My E90 330d burned 1L off in the first 1200mls and then barely needed a top-up during its 80,000mls life time.

And it's still going somewhere in the UK - it went to auction and I know someone (or some company) bought it - would love to find it again one day!! Anyway, thats off-topic!

What you've said on this thread is that it probably depends on your driving style. And yes, I don't beat on my car much, but that said, I don't hang about either. Most acceleration is firm, especially onto motorways (because that's fun!) and the needle has visited 7k countless times. I've also been to 150mph in it once, 140 a few times, etc. It's not worked hard in comparison to many of you guys anyway from what I hear but it ain't grannied!

So, perhaps the answer I'm after is; what changes to make it consume 1L in 3000mls compared to 0L in 13000mls? How does the car decide? What is it using it for? A litre burnt so soon just to lubricate is mad, especially when identical cars are using nothing.

But with my 330d exhibiting the same behavior, I'm sure it's not a problem

I think the OP's car is a 335i. I've seen posts where the N55 is burning through a quart every 3,000 miles or so.

My 328i N20 also has about 13,500 miles on it and the oil is still at MAX and I have not put any oil in it.
Appreciate 0