View Single Post
      04-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #31
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypon83 View Post
I don't get it. Why is everyone saying that if you want a BMW that can last for 10 years, you will have to pay a lot. Really? Do you guys actually own BMW? Maybe our family is that .001%, but we never have problem with our cars. 5 BMWs, 3 of them are more than 10 years old and guess what? They never have those big problems that cost us a fortune. This is why we love BMW. Fun to drive, practical, fuel efficient, and yet long lasting.
I will assume that you just abuse your car everyday if your BMW is not reliable.
OR yes, maybe our cars are really the minority, and probably that I will never find out.
I've only owned one BMW -- a 2006 E90 330i, which I just sold to make way for my incoming F30 335i.

In the seven years I owned it, most of the really important problems were taken care of in the warranty years. But one reason I sold it six months before I get my F30 is that normal maintenance was freakin' expensive.

At 85K miles, it needed new front brakes, an alignment, an oil change, new coils and plugs. I also insisted on a rear differential oil change, something a BMW dealer tech recommended to me. The work was done by a really excellent non-dealer BMW shop using OEM parts.

Cost? $1800. At the dealer, it would've been over $2500. Three months later I sold the car for $15000.

Even if the cars don't require a lot of maintenance (and mine didn't), what they do require is expensive, both in terms of the percentage of the value of an older BMW and in absolute dollar terms compared to, say, Hondas.
Appreciate 0