View Single Post
      09-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

So the 335d xDrive DOES have launch control

Well it's been a long week in the car. Only 7 days old and it's already past 1500 miles.

Had to drop some camera equipment off with a client this morning for filming car testing. They had a VBOX and an off-road facility and I had officially passed my run-in period so it seemed silly not to....

Firstly we tried some running starts to assess whether to leave transmission in sport or shift ourselves. Sport was shifting at around 4,5k revs. Manually holding onto over 5k didn't seem to really improve things so decided to leave in Sport.

As I do need to keep my car until around 90k, I had no wish to do repeated launch mode starts but I had to try at least one. Into Sport +, gearbox over to the left, foot flat on the brake and then prod accelerator. Flag appears on HUD saying Launch mode activated. Foot off brake and away we go.

Times were as follows -

10mph 0.66 s
20mph 1.23 s
30mph 1.90 s
40mph 2.64 s
50mph 3.54 s
60mph 4.64 s
70mph 5.99 s
80mph 7.55 s
90mph 9.50 s
100mph 11.77 s

I did a couple of runs with same settings but without launch, just holding the brake and loading to 2k and fastest I got on 4 runs was 5.05s to 60.

All figures were with just me and about 3/4 tank of fuel.

Still can't find the coasting mode though... but I've averaged 41.7mpg since buying the car (including these runs). Astonishing.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0