View Single Post
      09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

This topic has been discussed in numerous threads and on several boards. One poster did quite an analysis of existing turbo engines in today's cars, few of which produced impressive mileage numbers and one car mag (don't recall which) had a piece which also said don't hold your breath on big mpg numbers. That said, others argue just as hard that turbos will be our salvation with big mpg and big performance.

My take, after two Audi turbos, is that yes they can produce decent power, but not also good mpgs at the same time. When you get on the boost your mileage drops and since most of these engines are smaller anyway, you are going to be on the boost - especially in a BMW. I think when we see the new F30 turbo fours, BMW will be able to post some good numbers in their EPA and European driving cycles because they will be driven "off boost" in those tests; however, I also bet that few enthusiast drivers will ever see them.
Guess we will find out soon enough. I know I wish BMW had done more to wring better mileage out of their I-6, AND to get weight out of the 3er.
Appreciate 0