11-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #267
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
For better subjective "feel" on the track? If we're lucky, it might spend 1% of it's life being really tested. Should the attributes of the 99% be sacrificed for slight improvement in "feel" in the 1%? In a daily-driver sedan?

If we were concerned only with the 1%, we would all be commuting in Ariel Atoms. Surely anything less is a compromise.
If the Atom had weather protection, airbags, and a rear seat then I would gladly commute in it. Joking aside, I will argue with you that you get more driving satisfaction out of a "rawer" machine at lower commuting speeds, then from a more refined machine which requires higher speeds to come alive.

I am probably in the minority here tracking my daily driver sedan, so yes I absolutely prefer a sportier ride, and don't consider it a negative for commuting. I don't equate sporty to mean unbearably harsh, just firm, chassis ahead of the engine and as much feedback as possible.

Quote:
So maybe I don't know sporting. I am just a girl.
You are just a screen alias on an internet forum, so who knows really? Not that there is anything wrong with that. Or maybe you are just getting older, and there is nothing wrong with that either. Used to be, at the age when sporty became annoying people just bought a 5 series...

Quote:
That you "hate the way the new car drives" is a subjective argument, not quantitative. Everyone has their own preferences. But to suggest it's because it's less "sporty", well that argument doesn't hold water. It feels different from what you would prefer, or you may say that it feels less sporty to you, but because it out-performs the old model, one cannot accurately state that it is less sporty.
Well it doesn't really outperform the old model, now does it? That leaves the older car as sportier, since it offers more feel and feedback through pretty much all driving interfaces, while offering the same performance.

It's back to "you prefer it this way, and I prefer it the other way". I like your writing style, but your narrative doesn't offer more than just a justification for your purchase.

What is hilarious is that with the previous generations cars, it was the BMW owners making my type of argument, and the arguments for the other cars were in favor of the comfort and lack of harshness.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0