05-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
Definitely doesnt have anything on the E46 either. Since I have owned an E36, E46, and E90 I must say that the E36 and E46 had the best steering ever. Very comparable to Porsche. The E90s have wonderful steering as well but from what I remember it is slightly different from the E36 and E90. I dunno if it has to do with it being a bigger car or not but non the less the E90 is still wonderful.

The F30 definitely is the looser in this bunch and feed back is lost as road imperfections and tire communication is lost in translation through the electronic motor. I've heard when pushed heard on a track you get some feedback but during day to day driving it just isn't there. I guess you don't really need feedback to drive to the grocery but it's just nice to know it's there for a driving enthusiast. As you've stated it does weights up nicely but its relatively light at low speeds which is more than enough for a lot of drivers.
Did you have an M3 or just a regular 3er?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I had an E46 and E90, and now an F30 and the F30 steering effort is far lower than either the E46 or the E90. The F30 steering is very precise, just low effort. It really bothered my at first, but I find I am getting used to it now.
Thanks! I have been wondering how it compared to the older 3ers as all of the mags compare it to the E90 (which is understandable).
Appreciate 0