Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
I like diesel estates (sports wagons) because they are more economical in terms of tax and mpg. You loose the off-road capabilities, but instead get less drag, weight and so which improves mpg. Loosing the all wheel drive also improves mpg. Anything that worsens mpg is bad when fuel prices are almost twice those in the US/China.

And why not get the estate? The sedan is already a 4 door and not exactly a single-seat race car anyway. Even the coupe versions weigh almost the same, and handling differences shouldn't be that major. I think the BMW estates look very very good, and for any young single man, looking like a "family-type" is actually not a bad thing!

Many males naturally buy cars that other males like. Then later they do not understand why they only get admiration from this group of people...

I think many girls like SUVs because they are bigger. They feel they are safer and easier to drive. But while a bigger car may look safer, if you think about it, it will be harder to stop and easier to roll if involved in a motorway accident. Anyhow in countries like the US and China, where fuel is cheaper, and bigger is just sometimes better, SUVs are preferred over estates. This "bigger is better", I guess, also explains why the 6-series is larger than the 3-series coupe. There is an image attached driving bigger cars of the same brand... Even if it offers little sense, from an engineering point of view, people just like to pay for this. This is probably also why BMWs always grow a little in size with each generation.
Where I live I have snow for like 3-4 months in a year, to get ice in end of October or mid April isn\t uncommmon. So a little drag is an issue only on highway driving (not a problem for me as I drive 90% in city), while MPG increase is tolerable given I never have to worry about getting stuck in bad weather.

It\s a tradeoff and BMW make some awesome estates. It\s a tough choice, so Im still looking. X1, X3, 520d Touring, 320d Tourings... At least consumer these days is spoiled for choice. Audi Q5 is a very good car too.