02-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #131
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Not sure I see the point of all this internet banter...everyone else is wrong and probabilities can be interpreted either way.

Funny someone in Ann Arbor spun out...I lost control of my old prelude while getting on 94W from the Jackson on-ramp in decent snow and it was easily the scariest moment of my life. As a poor grad student, I couldn't really afford a fancy winter setup but I still figured out a way on a car worth 3k.

Just this morning on my commute some idiots came to a complete stop on 94, as everyone was slamming their brakes some old Pontiac POS flew by in the Emergency lane passing maybe 4 stopped cars cause he couldn't stop. For the record, it was about 20F with some left over snow.

If you're going to spend 40k+ on a car, I cannot really understand why you'd hedge your odds with respect to car controllability in a world of idiot motorists. My experiences in LA or NYC would concern me even more. Could you drive "safely" with a Z06 running summer tires...of course...but you have *severely* reduced your ability to react to the road. The *severely* is obviously the subject of debate in this thread, and everyone has a unique situation to judge if the severity justifies $1500. Making it up driveways vs stopping quickly are completely different metrics for the record.

I'm running quattro with PA4 performance winter tires - this also saves my nice rims from the salt, saves rims from pot holes inevitably forming post winter and extends the life of the summer tires. I have a garage and a jack, so no $$$ issue which makes it easier for me. Having lived in Boston for a little, I'd never want to own a nice car like this without a garage there, which I assume holds in any city.

And finally...obligatory Go Blue! Huge win last night...

My reasoning for winter tires has always been that I can run proper summer tires in the summer (rather than all seasons) and that the cost of the winter set-up would easily offset the deductible I'd have to pay if something didn't pan out as I had hoped. Hell, I used to put winter tires on our X3. The only vehicle that doesn't get them is my Suburban. But that's only because the Michelins I run on it are spectacularly good in the snow.
Appreciate 0