View Single Post
      12-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Here in Boston, it was cold today (about 38 degrees F). After driving about 10 miles on the highway at about 70mph, iDrive showed temperatures in the tires to be in the mid-60s F.

Does anyone know what the optimum temperature of the tires should be? If I remember correctly, in the fall when the weather was warmer, these tires reached temperatures in the 90s F. I wonder if there really is a big loss of traction if the temperatures can't get above 65 F or so.
There is a lot written by the tire companies and motor industry on summer/winter tire performance.

From Continental, here is just one example with comment and advice.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ter-tyres.html

It is clear, if you run two cars (one on summer, one on winter rubber) at low temperature and just feel the rubber, you can detect the summer tire has hardened, whereas the winter tire is very grippy in feel.

As to running temperatures, I've actually used an infra-red thermometer around the tires on a cold damp day and you find there is not much heat in the tread area. It can be just a couple of degrees above ambient. Wet roads and the tread is cooled quite quickly, so the rubber compound is not at the high temperatures we would expect, even after running decent mileage.

Winter driving doesn't typically heat the tires like we'd see in summer driving. Hence why in winter, besides tires with softer rubber compounds, it can be necessary to have a little more setting presssure, as the tires don't heat up to the working pressure we'd ideally be running on. I run 2 - 3psi more in winter, just to get the ideal working pressure.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0