View Single Post
      01-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

Active Hybrid 3 E-Boost Real World Use

After reading and participating in the conversation about the Active Hybrid 3 and the added technology, I could not remember having used the E-Boost feature. The 335i is an already fast and quick car so I decided to take a drive this weekend to check it out. What I originally thought was E-Boost was simply the boost from the N55 engine. As many are aware, it is hard to find situations in United States urban settings where you can 'put the pedal to the metal' for prolonged stretches without hitting another car or getting arrested for reckless driving.

Finding an Open Stretch of Road
To fully experience E-Boost, I had the car in Sport + with the gate to the DS mode. I performed 4 acceleration runs, invoking full throttle in 2nd gear. All I can say is OMG. I finally saw the E-Boost light on the Hybrid screen but the acceleration was so hard, I had to quickly direct my eyes back to the road. There is a clear and distinct improvement in midrange acceleration with the hybrid using the E-Boost capability.

From a Driving.ca article on the Active Hybrid 3 it states:

The engine, which uses all of BMW's high-powered technology including Valvetronic, puts forth 300 horsepower and a stout 300 pound-feet of torque at 1,200 rpm. The electric motor then chips in with another 55 hp and 155 lb-ft of torque from Rev One. With the two working together, the ActiveHybrid 3 boasts a net system out put of 335 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque.

The gas/electric combination delivers surprising performance, boasting a very quick run from rest to 100 km/h of 5.3 seconds, which is 0.1 km/h better than the 335i. It also manages to turn the 80-to-120-km/h (49-TO-73 MPH) trick in 4.1 seconds, which is superb, hybrid or otherwise. The secret lies in the electric motor's ability to supply its power boost for up to 20 seconds when the battery is fully charged. To all intents and purposes, this is whenever the driver calls upon the additional power.

The best description for the midrange E-Boost is: amazing and I cannot imagine using the full 20 seconds of available acceleration under full E-Boost. It's like having a KERS F1 system and now it makes sense why the heavy duty transmission is needed.

Would I use E-Boost often? No. But...

I do know this, I pity the fool who tries to race me from a stoplight

Active Hybrid 3 at Speed
Attached Images

Last edited by MotoEV; 01-12-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0