View Single Post
      08-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #219
Scudder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

There seem to be several people putting some thought into this so I wanted to bring up a few points because I feel like something very important is being overlooked in this discussion.

First, I believe there are a lot of people who assume, because they have not experienced it personally, that those of us complaining are exaggerating or making a mountain out of a molehill. I have been driving for 25 years and I can assure you this is not the case. If you experienced it at the intensity many of us have you would feel the same.

Second, there seem to be some people who have experienced some minor steering wheel vibration and assume anyone else who has mentioned it is experiencing it at the same level. I highly doubt that is the case because...

Third, the steering wheel shake/vibration always happens around the same speed range (roughly 40-60mph) but varies dramatically in intensity depending on the road... This has been my experience and I'm very curious if those who have experienced major problems with steering shake can test it and see if they agree.

For me, I can go down certain stretches of roads and experience little to no steering shake at 40-60. Other roads there is a clear vibration/shake that is annoying but not the end of the world. But certain stretches of roads the shake is horrendous and feels like the wheels are about to fall off. And these are not "rough" pothole-ridden roads and driving on them at speeds lower/higher than 40-60 is just fine! I don't know if my experience is unique, but I can clearly reproduce this if I drive over these roads! I have also driven a long time on one particular highway and seen pretty much all 3 levels of shakiness over a 20 mile stretch.

Unfortunately, I know very little about cars so I don't know what this means but since some folks are proposing solutions based on the descriptions here I wanted to re-emphasize this part of the problem. And ask others if they have experienced the same.
Appreciate 0