United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I hate the idea of the Z roadsters being badged with odd numbers: Z1, Z3, Z5. It would be more consistent to not return to the past and instead continue the even number strategy started with the Z4, which would be: Z2 (entry-level FWD Mini brother), Z4 (even though it would become more downrange, more affordable and go back to soft top), Z6 (Z4 going more upmarket), which would by the way leave an empty number 8 box for a potential range topping new Z8 with V8 engine to rival the Merc SL.

Maybe it goes down to BMW having a problem with the Z2 being FWD while they promised that only the "1" range would get FWD, hence Z1 instead of Z2... But that would still be much more consistent than naming ALL BMW roadsters with odd numbers (Z1, Z3, Z5) while their whole current strategy is to clearly separate the odd-numbered "classical range" (1, 3, 5, 7 Series, X3, X5) from the even-numbered "sporty/coupé range" (2, 4, 6 Series, X4, X6, Z4), they even kill the "M3 Coupé" moniker in order to have a clearly stratified and legible range! And yet Z1, Z3, Z5?? It's just inconsistent as roadsters are definitely more "sporty/coupé" models than "classical" models...
That thought had occured to me as well. At this point, I guess I really no longer care what a particular model is called from any manufacturer. As long as that model I'm interested in performs well, I'll remain interested.