View Single Post
      03-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

The Save The Ring folks aren't gogin to be happy about this...but it could turn out OK.

Apparently the buyer was talking about all the great stuff they want to implement to make Touristenfahrten safer and more efficient, so that was promising.

I think the locals are worried that the demand from auto makers, track day rental companies and other private users will be so high that the company will go for wherever the profit is, even if that means less public access. My question is - when it was government owned, why would they have not doen the same? The thing lost money for years, and if my tax dollars were paying for it, I'd want the gov't to operate it profitably, not to take a loss for the sake of the gear heads.

Another risk is simply less public days, so peopel who live nearby may not be able to drive over tehre after work on a Wednesday for a few laps. That would suck because if you've ever seen the place on a weekend, it's ridiculous - but of course it probably pulls a ton of cash.

I don't think they'll end touristenfahrten, but I could see them limiting it to weekends, which would suck but be better than nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
as long as they keep it open to the public, i don't care if it's owned by tooth fairies from another dimension. Driving there is one of the things I have to do before i die.
Thanksgiving or easter weekend, just get an overnight flight to Frankfurt, rent a car and drive the 2hrs to the Ring, get a Swift Stage 2 from Rent 4 Ring and go nuts, then fly home on the Monday. You could probably do it for $2000 all in.
Appreciate 0