01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Um, BMW did update their Nav system. And as far as I can tell, the updated system does everything that the new Volvo system does in that video, save for Touch screen.

And coming from a car that used a touch-based Nav, I can honestly say it's a step in the wrong direction. You take you eyes off the road far too often trying to "aim" for a part of the screen. The iDrive controller is much more exact, and safer.
You don't need to use the touchscreen you can use regular buttons or steering wheel controls. And BMW's updated system is not as up to date as this in my opinion. Sure it does a lot of these things, but not as simple as this. I have apps and internet in my car. At there are like 2 apps that support it and it is slow, and as soon as I recieve a phone call all apps quit.

It is so bad that it is not even usable. And last time I checked the BMW system requires a phone to work. This uses a separate system so it is much easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
I'm not impressed. Touch screen is cool, but this Volvo, I can hardly see what I'm touching once the hands go into the console...
As I said above, you don't need to use the touch screen. And it will look different on different models too.

I have all the tech that BMW currently offers and I never use it because it doesn't work as it should.
Appreciate 0