View Single Post
      12-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Loss of Power Malfunction

The problem described below has occurred now three times, with the most recent event being this morning.

Symptoms: Loss of power/dead throttle (power loss is present irrespective of driving mode [i.e., Sport+, EcoPro, etc.]); Heard the cooling components/fans in the engine bay working overtime (very loud); Vibrating/pulsating steering wheel at idle; NO ERROR messages).

Below is a detailed account of what happened the first time I experienced the problem. The first time the power loss occurred was after a loss of traction event. The second and third times I experienced the power loss/dead throttle, there was no preceding traction loss event.

The problem seems to go away after I shut the engine off and restart it. However, the last two times I have done that, I have received an "Adaptive headlight malfunction" error message upon restart.

I am taking the car to the dealer on Wednesday but in the meantime, any thoughts, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was on my way home today, driving in Comfort mode, when all of a sudden I noticed that I could feel my steering wheel pulsating.

The pulse started out as very minimal, but noticeable. However, over time, the pulsating became more severe (noticeable at idle as well).

Next, I noticed that the engine started to sound like it was working overtime. This was maybe 2-3 minutes after I noticed the pulsating steering wheel. For example, I could hear what sounded like a cooling fan straining. It sounded as if I had just tracked the car on a 110 degree day.

Finally, the throttle went almost completely dead. If I mashed the pedal to the floor in Comfort, Sport, or Sport Plus, the car accelerated as if I was lightly applying the throttle in EcoPro.

No warning lights, codes, etc. Loud engine, pulsating steering wheel, nearly completely dead throttle.

Completely baffling. Once I got to a point at which I could safely pull over, I did so and shut the engine off. Upon restart, everything seemed fine but at that point I was less than a mile from home.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0