View Single Post
      11-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Totally agree, I'd have posted a similar comment, if I'd made my post longer and more detailed.

There are many users in the UK who will choose the high mileage used cars, because they have been driven over distance. Cars used in cities and urban environments, with all the wear and tear that goes with stop-start, cold starts, etc., are often the really worn out motors, even with reasonable mileage.

Trade-in will of course reflect mileage, because the perception to many used car buyers... a car is worn out with mileage. Many just don't question the way a car is used.

I've bought into the high mileage used car. Bought one at 21 month old, with 42k miles. Car was like new, had been used to commute on the motorway, driver lived a couples of miles from the motorway and worked a couple of miles from it, the other end of the trip. So was driver only, rear of the car had never been used, neither had the trunk.

HighlandPete
My car is almost 5 years old and has 83,000 miles of which over 90 percent are highway miles. My maintenance interval from the CBM indicates 22,000 mile oil changes which I ignore and do every 7500 miles. I am still on my original brake pads and rotors and the monitor claims I still have over 20,000 more miles on both the front and back. The car has run flawlessly the entire time except for 2 blown brake lamp bulbs. I am keeping it until at least 150,000 miles. I have on order a 335i for the wife now. Anyway, my point is that I believe my car is in better shape than many cars with only 45000 to 50000 miles due to my care for the car and the type of driving I do.

By the way HighlandPete, it is good to see someone from your area here as my ancestors are from your area a few generations back. Actually, there is quite a bit of Scottish influence in this area.
Appreciate 0