11-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Msportman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive ACS Springs St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
+1

It is definitely a permanent 4 WD system, with 40% of drive to front and 60% to rear under normal operating conditions, with potentially 100% that can be applied to just one axle.

But unlike the Audi's it is a native RWD platform with a better natural weight distribution.
That's how the salesman pitched to me on sale of the car.

I know Haldex is reactionary and FWD until there was slippage but the new generation is more complex unlike 1st and 2nd gen Haldex. I've used a Haldex controller on a 450bhp Golf R which could send 100% to the rear 'more' of the time making drive in a much more a RWD tail out hooligan...this was a late Golf 6 R and was pretty handy with the controller giving flexabilty to change set up for different track. Permanent Quattro can feel quite aggricultural especially early cars but later cars such as RS4 and V6 SC S4's have the option to vary the amount they distribute.

It certainly explains the poorer economy with Xdrive being more of a permanent feature as I am only getting 40-41mpg on average. It creeps up slightly on a run. The A4 was giving 45 on average with high miles and crept to over 50mpg on a run being careful and sometimes more. I can't seem to get the F31 much over the 40mpg.....it must be the extra load on transmission causing higher consumption than the regular 2WD 320D.

I had an E90 a while ago that gave 50+ mpg!
Appreciate 0