View Single Post
      08-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #49
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by npgatech View Post
I did drive up there for a day trip on our way back to France. The area is of astounding beauty. I don't think we went into the little country though or if we did, there were no checkposts .
Hey, thanks for the info- I obviously can't be sure, but I don't think you did. I spent a couple hours on google maps zooming in on all the roads around the border, and to my amazement, it's like the old world- there are still border crossing stations at almost every border, or a few hundred/thousand yards before.

I finally found this incredible tiny village in Spain on the eastern side of Andorra- Os de Civís that appeared to have an open crossing into Andorra and that I really wanted to explore. But then I read about it and found out that it is the only Spanish village that, by road, can only be accessed via Andorra. This road was maybe 15 feet wide, surrounded by steep, heavily forested slopes and the village was basically all cobblestone, save for the roofs.

So then I started checking all the spots where the roads in Spain or France come within a few feet of the Andorran border, thinking well I could just get out and walk into Andorra by foot to say I've been there. But then I went to street view to find that it's either too mountainous or not worth risking being put into a European holding cell for a night or more. I'll just have to call BMW when I know I'm going and ask them if I can go into Andorra.

Anyway, thanks- you're trip looks like it was lots of fun. Getting super excited about going myself.
Appreciate 0