First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
An Update

I headed out to Thunderhill Raceway this past weekend for a 2-day track school (SUPER FUN!) and had the opportunity to experience the F30 335 in a couple of ways: 1) My friend lent me her car for a good hour-long drive on the 2-lane roads surrounding the track, and 2) Another friend who is an amazing driver and an instructor for the school took me on the track with it. Here are some thoughts:

Power and Handling
DAMN this thing is fast and incredibly capable right of the box! My buddy nailed the gas after exiting the pits and the N55 just hunkers down and runs like a scalded cat! Thunderhill is a small-ish and somewhat technical course with elevation changes, off-camber turns, and tight, low-speed turns. The F30 took them all in stride. If you ever really wanna know what your car is capable of, take that sucker to the track. Wowsers.

I doubt this is a newsflash, but the F30's increased heft is noticeable. To me, it shows up as a "stiff-leggedness" when folding the car into a turn where the e46 is more tossable. If the e46 is the collegiate athlete, the F30 is what happens when it takes a desk job and hits its late 30s.

Steering feedback is better than I remembered. Experiencing the car on a longer stretch of 2-lane paints a much better picture than a short jaunt around town or a "1 exit" dealer test drive. At lower speeds, the lighter steering weight and electric pump do mask some feedback, but at freeway speeds it's not that far off of my e46. I have to note 1 big complaint, though; the car has a HUGE dead spot on center.
Design
Something I found surprising is that the cockpit of the F30 actually feels more intimate than the e46. The increase in passenger space is noticeable, but the steering wheel felt like it was a smaller diameter and the sport seats can be adjusted down for a much smaller person. I'm 5'10"/140 and when the side bolsters are all the way in, they're too tight for me. That's never happened in any car before. Lastly, the cowl line at the windows seems about the same, but the hoodline is higher, giving the feeling that one is sitting further down in the interior.
Technology
HUD is awesome as is the ability to send directions to the NAV unit. F30 is the clear winner for creature comforts.
Conclusion
The F30 is still a great driver's car. The increased power and suspension tuning are a way of overcoming the increases in size and weight. Ultimately, the F30 is a different and more grown-up driver's car, like the e39 that we end up comparing it to.

Will I buy one? I'm thinking "yes", because I'll have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds. If I don't like it, there's always the rumored M2.
Appreciate 0