View Single Post
      12-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #48
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
If enough ppl bought new BMWs with a manuals we wouldn't have this concern right now about MT going away. Just take a look at Porsche: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...rsche-911-gt3/

It's pretty clear that too many non-M car MT buyers buy used and that doesn't help BMW AG as a manufacturer.
Let's be honest. The reason why a gt3 can sell loads with a manual is because the manual version will appreciate in price. Our cars are going to tank whether it's 6 speed or not. And the general public, enthusiast or not, will choose the route that is best for their wallet. So it doesn't make sense to expect the 4-series consumer to support the manual option.

I did my part and bought new this go around. And my understanding is the M2 sold more manuals than DCTs, and i'd bet money that it is for the same reason that the gt3 manual sells. but trying to buy other cars new in manual is going to be a losing battle. The value just isn't there.

And keep in mind that honda still sells models like the civic Si in manual only, so they can get away with throwing the same transmission in other models to increase their profitability.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0