11-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #52
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Americans don't buy hatches. Aside from you, me and The510King, there just isn't much interest in the 1er hatch or sadly, even in a 3er or a 5er hatch. BMW USA is correct to be cautious about bringing them over as very few would sell. In Europe wagons sell at roughly an equal rate to sedans (saloons), while they probably sell at about a 1 or 2% take rate in the US.
I don't know... There are awful amount of VW Golf, Subaru Impreza, Mazda 3 and MINI hatchbacks. There are some Audi A3, Volvo, and Ford Focus hatches as well.. Lexus came up with a hatch model too. So I think BMW can sell 1er hatch. At least, I think they can sell more than X5/6 M. I don't think they can sell 3/5er hatch, and they couldn't before (the ugly 5 GT).

I don't agree with "Americans don't like hatchbacks" by the way. I think there are enough Europeans in this country that would be interested in hot hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Further, diesel is closer to the price of petrol in the ROW making the more expensive cost of a d model easily justifiable for those in the ROW and specifically in Germany
I think US is such a country that would benefit a lot from diesel. This is because we have a lot of urban areas, where people drive 20-30-40miles one-way to work. A diesel (not a 3liter I6 like BMW or 6liter V12 like Audi) can be very advantageous. It will even address enthusiasts since it will be more sporty (think 123d M sport) and still get good mileage.. Who needs Prius now?