07-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
I am glad that - so far - this thread hasn't devolved into irrational complaints like the last time this topic was brought up here at Bimmerpost.

I'd like to chime in. I am a Mexican "chilango", proud to be one, with lots of american friends and of course very happy about this news.

Unfortunately Mexico's image in the US is very bad because of the drug trade, illegal immigration and corruption.

Without denying any of the above problems, I can say that there are millions of mexicans like me (the majority of mexicans) who work hard every day and try to make Mexico a better place. Our country is much more than the above problems (and fútbol yey!)

A BMW plant in Mexico is good news for the US as well, not just Mexico because of these reasons:

1. The real alternatives and competitors are other - relatively low cost locations - in Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa. Not the very successful, recently expanded, US operation in NC.
2. Mexican automotive labour is very qualified, we have had a booming auto industry for the last 15 years or so.
3. US suppliers are much more likely to be integrated into this plant's value chain than they would be if the plant was built outside North America.
4. Creating well paid jobs in Mexico reduces illegal immigration to the US in the long term.
5. A wealthier neighbour to the south helps the US in many ways. We can better police ourselves and buy more US made products. We are also politically stable and a partner instead of trouble.

It is also good news for BMW enthusiasts because the cars will be exactly the same. They will still be built and designed in Germany, to German standards and philosophy. And Mexican labour is as qualified as any other in the world. Harder working than most, even.

I am pretty sure BMW's won't get any cheaper because of this - just as a 3 series built today in South Africa isn't any cheaper than one built in Munich. But this enables BMW to make money in an ever tougher competitive environment with their peers and thus, STAY INDEPENDENT.

This is so well written. Great points. I think it's so ignorant for some people to assume that since they would be made in Mexico, the quality would suffer. I would beg to differ. As stated above, there are many reasons why the US would benefit. Not only that, there is a VAST majority of the hispanic population that, when given the opportunity to hold a steady job, will perform above and beyond the call of duty. Most times, the $2.50/hr type workers will outperform the $20/hr workers simply because most of them take sheer pride in what they do. End rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
+1

How many people here know that portion of 3er sedans in the US are made in South Africa?
I didn't know that! Learn something everyday.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1