View Single Post
      04-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #199
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I am very much opposed to autostart stop, and electric steering, I do believe that we should try to conserve resources and lower emissions wherever possible.

I also believe that there are other ways to achieve the gains made by autostart stop and electric steering that BMW has chosen to ignore, possibly for marketing reasons, and partially perhaps out of laziness.

Instead of a 2.0L turbo, it could be a 1.9L turbo, and maybe raise the boost a little bit, and that might equal to 3% gain of auto start stop without interfering with the refinement of the vehicle. And yes the car shuttering to a stop and shuttering to a start at every friggin stop sign, destroys the refinement of a premium automobile.

First, the electric steering will become the norm in most cars. It does save fuel but it also saps less power from the engine (= better performance), is less expensive, takes up less room in the engine compartment, and is cheaper/easier to replace.

Second, I think that if BMW went smaller than a 2.0, they would catch a ton of grief for having a smaller engine than all of their main rivals. BMW is already dealing with the grief of going for the 6 to the turbo 4.

Third, the shutter problem is only on start, not when stopping. Also if you do rolling stops or a quick stop (letting up on the brake immediately upon coming to a complete stop) the system doesn't even engage.