02-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #43
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
In these photos it looks like the radiator down in the air dam can be easily hit by rocks. It looks like nothing is really protecting that radiator. May want to look at installing some mesh so that you won't get a rock causing a punctured radiator.
I don't think BMW makes their heat exchangers out of paper mache like the "other" guy you are alluding to. Never read of any problems here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Hey man, just taking things at face value here

It's ok to get into the details but given what we know the guy beat C&D. (For example do you know the DA when C&D tested their car, btw their car weighed about 200lbs less than his) I will give him that credit, he beat them and now it's up to us ( and him) to beat him.

FYI xdrive is a 60:40 split so for straight line stuff the additional grip offered by the rear wheels in the staggered summer tires setup should help.
Most of the magazines don't run their cars in extreme cold (they are trying to emulate real world conditions). Even OEM's move their testing and calibration engineers to the southwest during winter. A lot of the magazines do testing either in So Cal or Michigan, where in the summer it can be either really hot or the humidity can be bad (in midwest, not CA ). Humidity is probably the worst killer of DA other than altitude itself. The conditions this guy ran were pretty damn good.

The staggered setup won't help if he isn't even getting wheel spin with square all-season setup. There is no torque/power that he's leaving on the table, unless I am missing something. The torque split on xdrive can vary for launch (it's def not fixed like a mechanical center diff). The biggest helper would probably be light weight wheels, rotors, calipers etc.

Most drag guys are dealing with serious wheel spin (high HP rear wheel drive cars), which is why they put the huge wide tires on the rear. There are some tricks like letting out air (maybe to 20 PSI) to get a slightly larger contact patch and a little more torsional flex at the launch, check out this

Appreciate 0