12-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #91
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
The major point I disagreed with you was this:

"There are plenty of ppl locked up amongst the dirt of the dirt for nothing. The druggies that are harmless, the petty thief, the DUI"

I interpreted this as you considering DUIs, thievery, and druggies to be, in your words, "nothing", and thus they don't deserve punishment. Previous poster was arguing that these people shouldn't be in jail AT ALL.

But yes, I agree that not all crimes are equal, and punishment for say pocketing a bag of cheetos from a deli shouldn't be equal to that of say breaking into someone's house.

So as long as we agree that if you do crime you should do time (and I do agree that people can change for the better, I'm not saying that once you commit a crime you're permanently a good for nothing), we're all peachy.
I still feel that those offenses you mentioned are rather minute considering there are rapists / child molesters (these two are the worst and deserve what they are getting on the inside as well) / murderers / etc. That doesn't mean that there are no punishments for them. I actually feel bad for the guy who gets locked up for one of those "smaller" crimes. I don't believe those are "aggravated felonies" and it sucks to be within the same walls as those that have committed heinous crimes. Think about how that person would feel in there - he would be scared shitless.

That is what I think I meant to say. lol.
Appreciate 0