Drives: X3M

Arrow Our Interview Detailing BMW M Performance Parts, from 2012 Geneva Launch

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Our Interview Detailing BMW M Performance Parts, from 2012 Geneva Launch
COMMENTS

Name:  MPerf_T.jpg
Views: 19515
Size:  63.3 KB

BMW launched and announced its initial M Performance Parts lineup officially at the 2012 Geneva Motorshow. While the now released M Performance Parts official catalog explains much, we took some time to find out some more details for you. Stefan Weiss of the M Performance Parts team was helpful in giving us some further insight.

Please give us a quick overview on the M Performance Parts. What's the motive for 'renaming' the Performance Parts program to M Performance Parts?
M Performance Parts are now available for the new 1 series, 3 series, and 5 series. There are many different product categories like exhaust systems, engine tuning, drivetrain, suspension, and interior/exterior. We develop these parts together with the engineers of M GmbH. We started this collaboration in 2010 for the M3 and for the X5M and X6M. The products were quite successful in the market, that's why we decided to go ahead with this cooperation and also develop for the regular series cars like the 1 and 3 series. That's why the parts being released now and into the future will be called "M Performance Parts." [See recent feature video]

Name:  MPerf_B_300.jpg
Views: 26233
Size:  25.5 KB
What are the differences between the M Sport Brakes and the M Performance Brakes (other than caliper color)?
The caliper colors (M Sport are blue, M Performance brakes come in orange, yellow, red). M Performance brakes have lightweight brake discs construction (slotted and drilled).

Any restrictions with the 370mm brake discs (wheel size, etc)?
It won't fit 17" wheels. Need to have 18" wheels and larger.

Are you considering to offer M Performance Brakes for the F10 as well?
Nothing to announce at the moment.

Popular question on our site: Will the M Performance Brakes fit the E9x M3?
No.

What's the weight / weight saving with the M Performance wheels? (20" for F10 and F30, 19" for F20)
They are forged wheels. Savings are approximately 1kg per wheel.

Is the M Performance suspension different from the M Sport Suspension? If so, what are the differences?
The M Performance suspension was developed with M engineers on racetracks. It will be 10mm lower than M Sport package suspension. It will be stiffer than M Sport for better handling.

Name:  MPerf_E_300.jpg
Views: 28168
Size:  14.1 KB
Please tell a bit more about the M Performance exhaust for 640i, 535i, 335i, and 125i. Is an M letter engraved on the exhaust tips like on the M Performance exhaust for the E9x M3?
It's a more free flowing exhaust with less restriction. There is a power gain, but not too large. We don't communicate the exact power gain figure. There will be M letters stamped on all M Performance exhausts.

The press release says that power kits for the petrol engines are in preparation. Which engines will you offer such a power kit for (28i, 35i)?
We are currently working on M Performance power kits for the 125i (uses a lower powered version of the N20 than the N20 version used in the F30 328i) and the F30 335i. These power kits are currently undergoing testing and should be available at end of this year. Power gains should be in the same range as the Performance Power Kits for the E9X models.

When will the M Performance parts be available in the US? Same for F30?
Parts are in stock and on shipment to the US. Will probably launch around May - for 3 series and 5 series.

Other notes/insights we found out:

High gloss carbon fiber is nice but very expensive due to the multiple clear coating process, so to keep prices lower for owners, the 1 and 3 series M Performance trims are in 'rough' carbon fiber finish, where you can still touch and feel the fibers pattern (it's real carbon fiber). The rough carbon fiber trims are clear coated twice (versus 10 times for the high gloss carbon fiber M Performance trim that the F10 5 series gets).

Name:  MPerf_W_300.jpg
Views: 28609
Size:  21.7 KB
M Performance steering wheel is available with or without electronics. The shape and size of the wheels are the same, but the non-electronic one gets a red tab in place of the electronic display.

M Performance exterior parts are designed to work with the M Sport package. They fit right into, on top of, or replace certain parts of the M Sport package exterior parts. For example, the air inlet inserts on the F20 1 series bolt right into the air inlets of the F20 M sport front bumper and the front spoiler lip right underneath the M sport front bumper. The F30's M Performance carbon fiber splitters attach to the F30 M Sport bumper. The rear diffuser of the F20 and F30 also simply replace the rear diffuser part of each model's rear bumper. This modular design prevents having to swap entire bumpers, which not only makes it easier to retrofit M Performance parts, but also lowers the costs of parts and retrofitting.

The 19" M Performance bi-color wheels are forged. They start off being coated in all black, and some of the spokes are then machined to achieve the contrasting colors look.

Appreciate 0