Thread: Nikon D810?
View Single Post
      12-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #24
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Fair enough Dave. You are right I do shoot as I preach with the exception of my landscape photos and I still shoot those at ISO 100 but anywhere and everywhere from F5.6-F22.
I do shoot the night stuff just as you stated with a Tripod, mirror up and a remote shutter release.

The static car stuff I shoot mostly wide open or at least 75% of it. The rolling and rig shots are always stopped down with the proper shutter speed for effect.

I am not saying there isn't a place for ISO but I avoid it and I know my photos are better for it.

If you want to compare lenses in a purely scientific way on your particular camera check out DXO labs. They lab test most lenses of major brands and they are rated on a few key performance features that give you a good idea where certain lenses stand out from the rest.

Sometimes you have to do what you are saying with ISO so I don't want people to think to never shoot that way. I try to preach it as a last resort.

Here is an example of both methods being used. It's a $20k lens on an $8k body but he still had to shoot it at 2200 ISO.
All his stuff is this good too.
http://flic.kr/p/qsbFvs
Appreciate 0