02-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #256
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Whoa, what? Since I bought my car I've had all five locks replaced (they wouldn't unlock) had my rear left window regulator replaced because it would open but not close (and now I have the same issue on the right side) had both catalytic converters replaced (well, I'm having them installed on Tuesday) had my clutch replaced...

You get the idea, the free maintenance has more than made up for any potential savings on the original price of the car for me. The way I see it, BMW has to use cheaper suppliers for certain parts in order to keep their prices competitive with the crap coming out of Japan and now Korea, I think they should raise their prices as much as they need to in order to make their cars meet the quality standards that people expect from the Germans. Think pre-1993 Mercedes Benz, I used to have a 1991 300E so I know first hand how great it was to have a car for 16 years and never have a single part break on it.
All of the stuff you list are warranty items, not "maintenance" items, and would be covered for the first 50K miles anyway. Some people do not like the idea of "free maintenance" (oil changes, wiper blades, etc) because it certainly is not "free" and they would rather do it themselves. Moreover, since going to this "free maintenance" plan, it seems that maintenance intervals have been extended dramatically. It is not uncommon for people to go as long as 20K miles before their car tells them it is time for service. Many would rather do their own maintenace and do it more often for peace of mind, especially those planning on keeping their cars for many years, not just turning them in after a three year lease. Whatever, but window lifts and clutches are not maintenance items
Appreciate 0