View Single Post
      05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I am an Android user and hated the idea that I would have to switch over to the iPhone, probably just as much as any iPhone user would hate the idea to switch to Android lol. However, I was thinking more and more about getting an iPhone, and only because of the ease of use with the BMW Apps but that changed because I realized what hassle it would be to constantly put the phone in and out of the cradle and to start the connected drive app, just to use the BMW apps, even if it were just short trips.

Now, however, I am using the system as I also described as a possible solution for Android users in this thread here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651149 and, I have to say, it works like a charm.

I have no need for a cradle, just keep it plugged in with the white USB cable. I have the home WIFI also set up on the Touch and I can sync it wireless with iTunes whenever it's parked in the carport or outside on the street.

Right now, just to see how long my battery will live, I am not even plugging my phone into a power supply for the WIFI tethering but have it set so that, as soon as I am connected to my car's Bluetooth, it will automatically start a mobile accesspoint for the Touch. So now I don't even take my phone out of the holder any more, don't have to press any buttons, nothing. It's ideal to be honest.. the only downside (but that has nothing to do with the setup) is that my provider has sloppy reception in some areas but I guess I'll just have to wait until September, when my subscription ends and I can switch to another provider with better reception (and get a 4G phone at the same time so it downloads everything even faster lol).

I haven't tried out Bluetooth streaming yet while having BMW Apps on, but seeing how my phone is not used for the BMW Apps, I kind of doubt it would shut down the streaming (but then again, do you need streaming over Bluetooth? With the Touch (and iPhone all the same, of course) I can listen to my mp3's and such by using the white USB cable, and another part of BMW Apps is webradio, which contains a LOT of stations lol (seriously, all I do know is listen to Dutch radio stations while driving in Hawaii (and laughing at their weather reports lol) haha)

So far I have no complaints about this set up at all. I could see where the frustrations come from if I had to use an iPhone but, right now, I don't have them at all with my Android phone =)

Disclaimer: I hope nobody felt offended by this post. This post not meant as an attack on iPhone users, nor is it meant to promote Android (I know how these topics can start flame wars and I'm not out for that). I just wanted to shed some light on a different setup possibility for BMW Apps

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread

Last edited by svache; 05-07-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0