View Single Post
      11-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Kev314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
It is increasingly difficult to even find feature phones and not all of them have Bluetooth capability. And even then, their Bluetooth support is rudimentary, intending to connect to a headset. They may not work well with the car's BT interface. If you were to get it to sync, you'd likely have to dial from the phone itself. You wouldn't see contacts etc. Essentially the car would just be a dumb headset. If you do go down that route, you should definitely try it out with the car before you buy it. Some LG flip phones do say they have BT headset capability.

The only reason to continue using a basic feature phone is if you really are attached to a number pad, don't want to pay for a data plan, or don't like a touch screen. Blackberry might be the only thing with a physical kybd these days.

My mom is 85 and even she has an iphone
The problem isn't attachment to the number pad, we already have a data plan for my girlfriends iphone 6s, and a touch screen would be fine.

The problem is size. Virtually all smart phones have significantly greater surface area than flip phones, making them more cumbersome to carry around in a pocket. I prefer a flip phone which can comfortably share a pocket with wallet or keys. Also, I don't text and don't feel a need to be tethered to a screen and internet.

My current but old flip phone works just fine with bmw BT including access to the phones contact list, remembering the last call etc.

I also know old people with iphones including a mid 80's relative with every apple gadget known to man including desktop, mac-book, ipad, iphone, & watch. Anyway, I'm not quite that old!

You are right about one thing, I should try before buying.

Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0