View Single Post
      07-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikneo View Post
agree with the OP - all one needs is some perspective. ....
+1

We read so many threads with all kinds of conflicting comments "this vs. that", but usually it is because we are comparing apples with pears and not seeing things in perspective.

Just decently I got out of my F11 535i wagon (loaded with options) and into a hire car, a UK model F30 320d EfficientDymanics auto, with a base specification (includes cloth seats). The first drive was 90 miles, so a fair distance to assess the car.

Now I'm familiar with driving small diesels and that includes the small BMW cars, I didn't know what to make of the 320d, it didn't feel very BMW at all. The base trim wasn't helping either. But as I drove it around for a couple more days and tried hard to see it for what it is, I could see why it is rated so highly here in the UK and getting great recognition as being the best car in the class.

Yes, it is keeping perspective and constantly acknowledging specification and options can completely change the feel of the cars. But underneath there is still a BMW even in base form.

Good topic.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0