View Single Post
      01-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #144
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by addm View Post
BMW are mainly built as RWD and AWD is added as after thought (though may be at pretty early stage). So it has advantages of RWD car with good front / rear weight distribution. AWD may not add much to dynamics unless there is traction issue (eg at launch) and add to wt. of the car at front axle
Audi has much to gain from AWD as its models are usually front heavy and sending power to rear helps it drive like RWD
But I doubt quattro is more performance oriented as compared to xdrive since they are both full time all wheel drive always providing some power (40% to front axle in quattro and if I remember correctly 30% in xdrive) to front axle and changing it as needed.
The sports differential at rear (clutch based ) is an added option and is not standard in S models. It definitely give advantage when coming out of corners as it transfer power to outer wheel.
At the end of the day S4 is more powerful which alone explains the performance advantage.
Sorry you are wrong. Please read the thread again and then also do some research on different types of AWD systems and advantages of each.
Also like I said BMW uses the S4 type AWD on it's X6M with the sport diff and if BMW's M division acknowledges a mechanical AWD system is better than BMW's Xdrive it should be good enough for you to accept it. If you don't than that is your problem.
Appreciate 0