05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
+1. The Hi-Fi system in the US models is actually pretty decent. I never found the bass to distort under moderately loud volumes. The standard hi-fi system actually even comes with shallow-profile sub woofers under each of the front seats which give a good punch when you turn up the volume. I do not agree with one of the above posts which stated that the bass gets muddy at 50% volume. The base response is good down to 25Hz. Actually there was some response even below 20Hz but that was far below -3db from the average levels.

However, I find the tweeters a bit on the brighter side. Also the equalization is pretty basic with just bass and treble adjustments (which I am actually fine with since it is easier to screw up with a 9 band equalizer unless you use some kind of parametric equalization).

The amplifier is rated under 200W while the HK system is rated at more than double the power. However, that should not really matter since doubling the amp power would only give a 3db increase in volume levels. Now, I'm not sure if the HK system uses more efficient drivers. In any case the standard Hi-Fi system gets absurdly loud if you really want it to.

If I was really serious about sound, I would skip the $850 on the HK and spend $2K- $4K on a "real" after market system -- but then again I would spend that money on my home audio rather than car audio since the car's sound environment is anyway messed up badly due to road, wind, traffic noise.
The HiFi is okay for most people, but it is not a very powerful system. The Bass get's distorted at relatively low volumes.
Appreciate 0