View Single Post
      07-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
vaderone
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 3.0

Transmission Malfunctions

I not an active poster but learn a lot from reading this forum. I have had my 328i Sport Line auto with active suspension was towed yesterday for transmission problems. The first incident happened a week ago. Driving in traffic with auto-stop on. Car was in off mode. When I pressed pedal the car remained in neutral rev'd like crazy and then suddenly engaged. Resulting in the car making a loud noise while engaging the gear. Car went into limp mode. Restarted car seemed o.k. Later in the afternoon it did the same thing. Screen indicated reduced output see dealer.

Dealer was great and took it in right away. The reprogrammed software for a newer version since mechanic said on their weekly BMWNA calls was told there have been problems that auto-stop putting transmission in neutral first and then engaging gear after the accelerator pressed that leads to reving engine.

Got the car back seemed o.k. until yesterday when going up a hill in sport mode about 40 miles per hour. Transmission mysteriously shifted into neutral again. Engine rev'd like crazy and went into limp mode. Almost was rear ended. Pulled off to the side. Screen flashing red messages of reduced output and stabilization issues see dealer. Restarted car seemed o.k. was very close to home drove home. The car had a burning smell. Immediately called dealer. Service person asked me to call roadside assistance to have car towed to dealership since I told them I felt unsafe with car.

Since today is a holiday they will look at car on Thursday. As a side note, I had a 2010 Z4 that had problems with engine dying after a stop and they fixed via software and didn't have problems after that.

Oh well I hope they can get this fixed soon. Anyone else with these issues?

Bummed from Hawaii.
Appreciate 0