02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I'm not a fan of placing jackstands at the jack points on the rocker. I prefer locating them toward the outer ends of the front and rear subframes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
Me either. When I was plastidipping my wheels, in order to save a little time, I jacked up the front using the jack pad and got the car high enough to lower the rear onto a regular jack stand (y-notched). It worked, but I was nervous of it slipping the whole time. Plus, the outer rim of the plastic was actually taking all the vehicle weight and not the actual frame. Before I do anything else that requires jacking up my car, I'm definitely investing in some jack pads that will fit in the slots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I'm actually talking about the jack "slots". I would never jack the pinch weld. There's no "frame" to be found along the rockers on a unibody shell. The plastic rocker covers weren't holding the car, the steel rocker underneath was. While the pinch weld is actually strong enough to hold the car, it's not a very good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
The jack points were resting on top of the slots in the stands. On the F30 I don't think you can even see the pinch weld seam can you? Aren't they completely covered by the plastic rocker cover?

Did you guys read my post right above? You don't need to rest the Y-jack stands on a weld pinch. Buy the little blocks, and do it the safe/correct way!
Appreciate 0