05-25-2014, 04:17 AM   #84
435iGC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I don't believe this argument holds water for a couple of reasons. First, the 3-series Gran Turismo already exists for those that want versatility from the F3x platform. Second, to your point about too much similarity with the 4-series coupe: this is precisely the relationship that exists between the 6-series coupe and the 6-series Gran Coupe, and nobody bats an eye about it.

And heavier (top-heavier, no less) as well.

That's an awfully narrow niche. I represent the market segment that loves the look of the coupe (check), and the sporting characteristics of the coupe (check), but needs the versatility that a sedan offers (check), with no requirement whatsoever of the added weight and bloated lines that the hatch brings.

BMW had a great relationship between the 6 coupe and the 6GC. Additionally, the Gran Turismo models exist for those that needed the extra cargo room that a hatch provides but didn't want to drive an SUV. The 3GT wasn't sporty enough? Fine, name this car the 4-series Gran Turismo that it is, and leave the 4-series Gran Coupe unmolested by that hatch. Why they felt the need to combine both segments into one is beyond me.

It's because contrary to what their marketing department would have you believe, BMW as a business is extremely reactionary and risk averse. And rather than lead into a segment, they simply wanted a piece of the A5 Sportback pie, even if it came at the expense of their own product segmentation and naming strategies.
I've been waiting for this car since I first saw the 6GC. I think we should've foreseen this coming years ago when BMW came out with the 6GC after the 5GT. They're just proceeding with the same strategy in a different segment. I don't think people criticize the 5GT and 6GC nearly as much as they do to the 3GT and 4GC. Most people here drive a 3 or 4 of course no one cares about the 5 and 6.

I almost bought a 3GT a year ago for its practicality but was skeptical about its looks. How many 3GTs have you seen on the road? Personally I have only seen it twice in LA since it came out last year. I bet most people who ever thought about buying a 3GT and didn't end up buying one sure will seriously consider a 4GC. Just wait and see, there will be many 4GCs on the road within a few months.